Friday 24 February 2017

XCLUSIVE! Interview with singer Sertari

This week in Xclusive! I’m catching up with Cypriot, singer-songwriter Nicola K aka ‘Sertari’ to find out the who’s, what’s and why’s in her music journey so far...


Your stage name is ‘Sertari’ – where is it from and what exactly does it mean? Sertari comes from the last part of my maiden name, Koussertari. My Dad – who is also a singer and musician – had the stage name Nicolas Sertari, so you could say I have borrowed my dad’s stage name!

Who are you’re biggest influences and how have they shaped you as an artist? My musical influences are quite wide ranging, from Rock to Latin, Hip-Hop, R‘n’B, traditional and Pop; Nightwish, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Kate Bush, Prince, Tori Amos… 
I believe having such a wide range of musical influences means I can evolve each collection of songs and blend elements of different genres into each song.

In 5 words how would you describe your sound? Evolving, beats, pumping, atmospheric, lyrical.
You recently became a mum – has this impacted your music in any way? Yes I had a little girl, well she is 2 now! Time has defiantly flown by. Being a mum does obviously have an effect on writing/producing (headphones instead of speakers!), and it can sometimes take a lot of coffee when in the studio! However I write my songs based on personal experience and she is such an inspiration and features in a few of my songs!

You released an upbeat summer track last year entitled ‘Keep On Dreaming’ which was one of the songs inspired by your daughter…. I wrote ‘Keep On Dreaming’ about a year before it was released... I wanted to let my daughter know that no matter what, to always aim for your dreams even if people try to discourage her, and to know that I will be there to guide her and support her, no matter what.
You’ve been compared to the likes of Gwen Stefani, Nelly Furtado and Helena Paparizou – how do you feel about that? Well I'm very surprised to be compared to artists such as them as I have great respect for what they do and what they have achieved. I feel I have my own unique vocals and style, however to be compared to any artist who is a success in such a hard industry is an honour.

You’re known for your live performances and have sung all over the world – what has been your favourite gig and why? I have to say one of my favourite gigs was when I performed in Nicosia on New Years Eve in the Liberty Square. The whole city was packed with people, and it was such a great atmosphere and the appreciation for live music was something I will never forget.
And what’s been your weirdest place to play? I can’t think of the weirdest place, but I had to open up the Christmas lights once, dressed as Super girl!!

A new EP is on the cards – what can you tell us about it? Yes! I'm currently back in the studio and putting together a new EP, for this year. It’s been a long time since my last fully produced EP – my “Unplugged EP” was back in 2013 – so I’m very excited for this new collection of songs. The sound maintains some of the punchy drums from “Keep On Dreaming” – but the songs blend a mix of guitars, atmospheric sounds with the big beats.

A little birdie told me you’ve collaborated with Hip-Hop poet and Grammy award winner J-Ivy on a new track… Oh yes, I cannot believe I have J-Ivy featuring on one of my tracks, he is simply amazing and I remember first hearing him on Kanye West’s track “Never Let You Down.” He has a great passion for words – and I'm so amazed he wanted to be on one of my tracks!! The track will be featuring on the new EP.

When do you hope to have it ready for release? The EP will be out later this year and I’m hoping for an early summer release – it depends on how the studio sessions and the videos come together!
Any upcoming gigs or plans to perform your newest material? I am hoping to perform the new material in Cyprus over the summer as well as performing at some festivals and venues in the UK.
What is currently playing on your Ipod at the moment? I have recently been listening to Prince’s live version of ‘No Diggity’, Bruno Mars – ‘24k Magic’, Gloria Jones – ‘Tainted Love’, ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ cover by the Muppets (my daughters request), and on the rockier side of things… Don Broco – ‘Everybody’ (great riff!), 21 Pilots and Creeper (a great local act).

What is your ‘go to’ song when you are:seeking inspiration? Depends on what mood I'm in…sometimes it could be something more rock (‘Nemo’ by Nightwish) but it could also be something more classical or traditional (I love Dimitris Mitropanos’ ‘Roza’!)

… need a cheer up? Anything sung by the Muppets… or Tenacious D … or some Ska (Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake)!!

… want to dance? Maybe some Aviici! Or something with a beat and a groove… like ‘Rappers Delight’. I also LOVE ‘Represent CUBA’ by Latin group Orishas. For information on Sertari and her music visit: www.soundcloud.com/sertari – www.facebook.com/sertari – www.twitter.com/sertari – www.sertari.com

*****
That’s all for now. More entertainment and music news coming soon.
Until next time… x Mwah


Catch all the latest music Xclusives on Katerina’s Live DJ Show: ‘Young & Connected ~ Scandalous! Two hours of unadulterated Modern Greek hits; 1st for new music, celebrity gossip, chart news, interviews and of course listener’s special requests and dedications! Not to mention a few surprises along the way! Live on LGR 103.3fm, online at www.lgr.co.uk and DAB Plus, on Tuesdays 8-10pm. SCANDALOUS! If you would like your CD or event featured or reviewed in Xclusive! Contact Katerina: via email: katsmusiq@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.